CURLY, WAVY OR COILY HAIR: WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE? HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF THEM?
Every hair has a unique shape: from perfectly straight to coily, and everything in-between. The terms curly, wavy and coily describe different hair types:
- Wavy hair is neither straight nor curly. They form "S" shaped waves.
- Curly hair forms a more or less tight S shape. The curls are defined and voluminous. This is category 2 in André Walker's typology.
- Curly hair has very tight curls and is prone to frizz. This hair type belongs to category 3.
WHY DO WE HAVE CURLY HAIR?
There are two main reasons why hair curls:
- Genetics: most of the time, it is your genetics that determine the appearance of your hair. For example, people with of African descent tend to have curly or even coily hair. Europeans often have straight or wavy hair, while Asians are known for their straight, thick hair. However, all hair types exist in every region of the world: no matter where you come from, if there are other people with curly hair in your family, it is probably a genetic trait.
- Overexposure to damaging external factors: damaged hair can become curly as the cuticles break away from the hair shaft. This can occur as a result of repeated exposure to heat (hair straighteners, UV rays, etc.) or harmful substances (pollution, chemical dyes, etc.). This hair type is often dry and coarse.
WHAT ARE THE NEEDS OF CURLY HAIR?
Curly, wavy and coily hair all need to be moisturised regularly. This is because their shape does not allow the sebum naturally produced by the scalp to reach the lengths and ends, which can become very dry. Most hair products are designed for straight hair and are therefore not suitable for curly hair, which needs nutrition and protection. To maintain healthy, defined curls, it's important to adopt a routine that's tailored to your hair, including nourishing treatments that protect against damaging external factors.
HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF CURLY, WAVY OR COILY HAIR?
In general, always use haircare products containing naturally derived ingredients for your wavy or curly hair. Plant-based ingredients are gentler and therefore healthier for your curls. They will help strengthen your hair fibre and protect it from the elements. A hair routine containing naturally derived ingredients is ideal for shiny, lustrous curly hair.
To keep your curls in shape and avoid frizz, style your hair only when damp after washing. Use a wide-tooth comb and gently untangle knots to avoid damaging the hair fibre.
THE CURLY HAIR ROUTINE containing naturally derived ingredients: CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRODUCTS
It is very important to choose the right hair care products for your routine. Your hair needs protection and moisture to keep it shiny and light. Here's the ideal care routine for your curly hair type.
CARE ROUTINE AND PRODUCTS FOR CURLY AND WAVY HAIR
When wavy or curly hair dries out, it loses its shape and shine. Daily moisturising is the key to well-defined curls. The routine for this type of hair consists of 5 steps:
1. A mild shampoo to clean your hair without drying it out; 2. A moisturising conditioner to help detangle your hair;
3. A day cream to nourish your curly hair during winter;
4. A dry oil to moisturise your hair and protect it from the sun in summer;
5. A mask to be applied 1 to 3 times a week to enhance your curls.
Klorane's Mango hair care products are designed to moisturise and protect curly and wavy hair. Mango butter nourishes the hair fibre and leaves your hair smelling delicious.
CARE ROUTINE AND PRODUCTS FOR COILY HAIR
If your hair is coily (type 3), it is probably very dry. You therefore really need to include repairing treatments that strengthen the hair fibre in your routine. The ideal routine for your hair consists of 4 steps:
1. An ultra-soft and nourishing shampoo to intensely moisturise your hair;
2. A repairing conditioner to protect your ends and lengths and make detangling easier;
3. A mask to leave on overnight 2 to 3 times a week to deeply nourish your hair;
4. A serum to protect the hair fibre from damaging external factors and heat.
Klorane Organic Cupuaçu hair care products nourish and protect even the driest hair. They enhance your curls and repair the damage caused by heat and exposure to harsh chemicals. They are ideal for curly hair, but also for hair that has become curly or wavy due to repeated damage.