Is your skin dull and shiny during the day despite frequent cleansing? You may have oily or combination skin. A mattifying routine of naturally derived products will reduce your skin's sebum and give you a fresh, matte complexion.
Mattifying the skin means using products that reduce sebum.. Sebum is useful for moisturising the epidermis, but can cause skin concerns when produced in excess:
- It makes the skin shiny and gives it a dull appearance.
- The accumulation of dead skin cells prevents the skin from breathing and is one of the most common causes of blackheads and blemishes.
- Pollution binds to the sebum and impacts the skin's protective layer.
Using mattifying products is therefore not just for beauty, but also essential for healthy skin.
Excess sebum is caused by two main factors: your skin type and your environment. To mattify the skin, these two factors must be cared for:
- Caring for oily skin: If you have oily or combination skin, your body is genetically programmed to produce more sebum than it needs. Your skin needs a little help with the right products to remove excess sebum.
- Limit damaging external factors: pollution, stress and poor diet can also affect your skin. Take time to relax, limit the amount of overly-processed food on your plate and use anti-pollution treatments regularly. Also, check that your cosmetics are not too harsh as this can cause the skin to produce too much oil.
Firstly, make sure your skincare products are non-greasy and alcohol-free, as both of these elements cause oily skin to react and blemishes to appear.
Then, choose products enriched with mattifying active ingredients such as:
- Monolaurin: derived from coconut oil, monolaurin has a sebum-reducing and absorbent action. It helps to mattify the skin and reduce oil.
- Green clay: green clay purifies the skin by absorbing pollution and sebum residues that clog the pores.
- White clay: antibacterial white clay absorbs impurities and sebum.
The daily damaging external factors to which our skin is subjected leave their mark: lack of radiance, visible pores and blackheads are all signs that the skin is suffocating and that it needs a little skincare pamper to breathe again. A purifying skincare routine prevents the accumulation of impurities, for a fresh and luminous skin no matter your environment.
Purifying your skin means ridding it of all the dead cells, sebum and pollution particles that have accumulated during the day. This is essential for combination to oily skin, which absorbs impurities much more easily. Purifying your skin regularly has many benefits:
- The skin can breathe again
- Imperfections are reduced
- The skin regains its radiance
Cleansing your skin every day is an essential step to remove make-up and impurities on the surface. We recommend cleansing the face morning and evening, except for dry skin which can be cleansed once a day depending on its sensitivity.
However, to deeply purify the skin, a simple cleansing is not enough. You'll need specific skincare products enriched with antioxidants that exfoliate and purify the pores.
Organic Aquatic Mint is the key ingredient to purify the skin with its triple action:
- Antioxidant: it limits the oxidation of the skin and the vitamins within.
- Anti-pollution: it acts as a protective film against pollution and reduces the accumulation of dead cells.
It is the ideal naturally derived active ingredient for fresh, clear skin: that's why we use it in all our purifying products.
The ideal routine for purifying and mattifying the skin without drying it out has three key steps:
1. Cleanse and purify with an exfoliating product such as our 3-in-1 Purifying Powder with Organic Aquatic Mint and Clay;
2. Hydrate the skin with non-comedogenic purifying skincare like our Purity Cream with Organic Aquatic Mint;
3. Deeply purify and mattify with a purifying mask such as our Stick Mask with Organic Aquatic Mint.