The skin is the only organ of the human body in contact with the outside world. To function properly, it needs water: which is why it is recommended to drink plenty of water to keep your skin healthy. But hydration also comes from the outside: sebum naturally produced by your skin is tasked with keeping skin properly hydrated. But it’s not always enough: pollution, stress or hormonal changes can dry out the skin and make it dull.
Moisturising your skin regularly has many benefits:
- Protecting the skin from external damage: moisturisers help to restore the skin barrier.
- Fight against ageing: as we age, it becomes increasingly difficult for the skin to stay naturally hydrated and wrinkles appear. Moisturising your skin is also a way of slowing down signs of ageing.
- Brighten up the complexion: well-moisturised skin is smooth and radiant.
People with oily or combination skin often think they need less hydration. In fact, the opposite is true! When the skin is dehydrated, it produces more sebum to compensate for the lack of water. A moisturising routine is therefore often the solution to make skin less oily.
There are many moisturisers on the market - how do you choose the right one for your skin? Follow our advice to find the perfect product.
Avoid products containing alcohol or silicones: these ingredients are heavy on the skin and can cause blemishes or dryness and irritation. Look for skincare products that are based on ingredients of natural origin and contain moisturising agents such as:
- Hyaluronic acid, an active ingredient capable of retaining up to 1000 times its weight in water.
- Dextran Sulfate, a powerful plant-based decongestant.
- Organic Cornflower extract, a traditional active ingredient with soothing properties.
- Organic Edelweiss extract, a highly-effective antioxidant ingredient.
If your skin is normal to dry, i.e. it produces just enough or too little sebum, choose products that intensely moisturise the skin. Your ideal moisturising routine consists of 2 steps:
- Plump and protect daily with a high tolerance skincare product such as our Cornflower Water Cream with Organic Cornflower.
- Deeply moisturise with a restoring night mask several times a week, such as our Hydrating Night Mask with Organic Cornflower.
Don't forget to pay particular attention to the eye area, an area frequently dehydrated when you have dry skin. You can also use a skincare product specially designed for the eye contour area, such as the Klorane Antifatigue Eye Roll-On with Organic Cornflower.
If your skin tends to be oily (especially in the T-zone), good moisturising is essential to keep oil under control. Choose products with a light, non-comedogenic texture so as not to clog your skin. Your ideal moisturising routine consists of:
- Tone and protect the skin with a smoothing product such as our Wake-Up Call Serum with Organic Cornflower.
- Hydrate and purify skin with sebum-mattifying skincare like our Purity Cream with Organic Mint.
Whatever your skin type, make sure you moisturise at least once a day, preferably after your shower. If your skin is dry or appears dehydrated, you can use a moisturiser several times a day. In addition to your daily routine, use a mask one to three times a week to deeply rehydrate your skin.
Many people worry that a moisturising routine is too much for their skin, especially those with oily or acne-prone skin. And it's true that products designed for dry skin are generally not well-suited to oily skin because they can clog pores already filled with sebum and prevent the skin from breathing.
If this sounds like you, look for water-based, light-textured products that say "non-comedogenic" (meaning they won't clog pores). You'll get all the hydration benefits without clogging your skin!